Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Breaking: Sarah Likes a Sport

In a move that is somehow both timely and outdated, I have decided this week to tell you all about my new favorite sport, hurling. This topic is timely, fresh, hip, and relevant insofar as the all-Ireland hurling final is slated for this Sunday. It is outdated and sad in that my sole encounter with hurling – the original all-Ireland final before they decided to end in a tie and require a stupid rematch – was (whoops) two and a half weeks ago. In either case, though, hurling is awesome. Allow me to enlighten you.

Despite the fact that no other country on earth plays or understands this sport, hurling is enormously popular here in its country of origin. Weird, right?



…Oh.

Going into the Match Formerly Known as Final earlier this month, I knew nothing about hurling. I’d heard it was fast-paced.  I’d heard it was violent. I knew who was playing, vaguely. All I knew for sure was that it was a sport – and, as we all know, “sport” in Latin, roughly translated, means “Sarah’s gonna hate every second of this.”

My dear friends and readers, when I thought of hurling, I thought wrong. Hurling is the greatest sport that has ever been. As advertised, the violence is completely senseless and relentlessly entertaining. Pretty much no maneuver is illegal in this sport, including, from what I gather, beating your opponent to a pulp with your hurling wand in the interest of stealing the ball from them. These guys go out there in shiny shirts, tiny shorts, and literally no padding anywhere and just destroy each other for seventy-five minutes…without stopping. There is a halftime built in to the game, but outside of those blessed fifteen minutes, the action literally never stopped. No time-outs. No stopping of the clock. No halt in the action to deal with injuries, because injuries are for far weaker men than hurlers. On two occasions during the game, a player was so badly injured that he could not stand back up. In these instances, paramedics simply ran through the field of play to the player in question, formed a human wall to keep the guy’s own teammates from landing an errant stomp on his concussed head, and basically smacked him around a bit until he could get up and walk it off. I think I saw three substitutions the whole time.

Hurling. Is. Insane.

As the match went on, I eventually realized that hurling reminded me of a lot of other sports I’ve seen through the years. In fact, thought I, hurling might be better called by modified names of several of these sports. What might those be, you ask? Well, well, well.

-       On-the-ground Quidditch with only Beaters
-       Public school lacrosse
-       Soccer at that tense moment right before people stop playing and start just punching each other, plus sticks you can hit people with, minus rules
-       American football back in the Rockne-ish era where your death on the field was not just an occupational hazard but in fact pretty much a guarantee
-       Attempted Murder: The Game

If you can find a way to watch the all-Ireland hurling final (Round Two) this Sunday, I would highly encourage you to do so. The teams in play are underdog Tipperary, whose colors are blue and gold, which is the home county of my ancestors, and who you should clearly be rooting for, and win factory Kilkenny, whom one guy on Tinder described as “the Miami Heat to your Indianapolis Pacers.” Oh, and how do you spell those teams in Irish, you ask? Thiobraid Arann and Cill Chainnigh.

Nothing in this country makes sense. I love it all.




No comments:

Post a Comment